Friday 10 February 2017

fevnut's musings extra

fevnut's musings

(Cas, Leigh, Jason Walton and Rob Burrow)

 



Whenever I watch a match, be it live or on television, I find it impossible to remain neutral. When it’s Fev playing it’s easy, but when they are not involved it can be an odd process deciding which side I want to win. Sometimes I sit in front of the television and think I will be neutral and just watch the game but almost inevitably something takes over and I find myself willing one of the teams on.
Well, tonight I sat down to watch them down the road against Leigh, possibly the two teams I dislike most. Maybe the best result for me would have been the referee sending all 26 players off after a mass brawl and the RL disciplinary system deciding to deduct 12 points from each team! But as I said at the beginning I end up instinctively ending up supporting one team. Well, to my horror, I found myself supporting that lot in amber and black. Maybe it’s because, over the last few years, Leigh have become such an enemy. But I came to the conclusion that it was something else. Bearing in mind that I dislike both, something personal crept in. I find it really difficult not to want Daryl Powell to do well after the fantastic service he gave us. Then there was the added factor of Zak, a real favourite for us at Fev. And there was another player wearing an amber shirt that I used to teach. A really nice lad! Paul McShane always used to sit right at the front of the class. It wasn’t because he was so enthusiastic about learning Maths. No, he soon noticed that there would usually be a copy of League Express on my desk and while I was attending to someone further back he could slide it off my desk and start reading it!

There was a lad a few years younger who I taught at the same school who used to sit in the back corner and get away with doing as little as possible and sometimes absolutely nothing. He was quite a little kid and I never dreamt that he would become a professional rugby league player. He’s done the rounds of several clubs but this year he has signed for Fev! And physically he is almost unrecognisable from that little lad at the back of the class. Jason Walton, welcome to Rovers and I hope you put a lot more effort into playing for Fev than you used to make in my Maths lessons!
Finally, while talking of little lads, many congratulations to Rob Burrow on making his 500th career appearance on Thursday night. The first time I ever saw him play was in an under 8s halftime game at Post Office Road. You may think he’s small now, but then he was absolutely tiny. When they came out I was quite worried for his safety but he was brilliant and ran rings around everyone who was playing. I remember thinking that here was a lad who might make it as a professional in the future. Just occasionally, I get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment