Tuesday 30 May 2017

fevnut's blog: Hull KR (Home)


Match 19: Hull Kingston Rovers (Home)










fevnut's musings






Blackpool




So, Leon Pryce has decided to retire. He once infuriated the Aussies by telling them that he preferred Blackpool to Bondi. Much as I enjoyed watching Leon playing I couldn’t disagree with him more. Mind you I have never been to Australia let alone Bondi Beach but I couldn’t possibly like it less than I like Blackpool. I first went there for a Union conference and I loathed the place! Then I went to a Labour Party conference     at Blackpool and loathed it even more. Since then, the only thing that has ever got me to return has been to watch my beloved Fev and after three visits to the Summer Bash I think I would rather go to Castleford than Blackpool!! Last Saturday was AWFUL. Well, not quite as awful as the year before but it was getting on that way. What is it that makes us play so poorly at the seaside. We seemed to be totally uninspired and for me, that has to be down to the halfbacks and hookers. They have played and combined really well in many games this year but on Saturday we seemed to be totally devoid of any creativity. The only bright spot was John Davies who has been a joy all year. But even John can’t get us a win when simply nothing is being created. One thing really worrying is that it seems that when we are failing to play well in attack our defence seems to fall apart and that has to be a matter of mentality. It’s what happened to us in the Qualifiers last year and I hoped that this year we might have the strength of character to overcome such problems. People have said that we seem to play at our worst when we are in front of the Sky cameras but that can’t be the answer because we put in a tremendous team performance in front of the cameras just a fortnight before. I don’t understand it but I desperately hope that Jon Sharp does because he has to put it right very quickly with our next three games being against Hull KR, Bradford (who played really well against Hull KR in Blackpool) and Leeds Rhinos who are sitting 3rd in Super League. There are a lot of tough matches coming up - we need the team to be creative and mentally tough.



With the top four places in the Championship now clearly between just 5 teams we have included in the blog a listing of the remaining fixtures for those 5 teams. In the page list on the right hand side the link is entitled ‘Top Five: Remaining Fixtures‘.                          





************************************************



ANDY KAIN




We mentioned earlier the retirement of Leon Pryce. Well, Andy Kain also announced his retirement this last week. I feel quite glad about that because I have loved watching Andy play but when he was playing for Dewsbury at Fev this month he seemed to be such a pale shadow of the player who played for us for many years. Under the coaching of Daryl Powell, that halfback partnership of Andy Kain and Liam Finn was a huge factor in the league success topping the table four years in a row.



It was a great halfback partnership in true Rovers tradition with the intelligence of Liam and the cheeky, inspirational and lightning fast play of Andy.



Many will know that with 128 tries Andy lies fourth in the list of all time Rovers try scorers. What many of you will not be aware of is that he scored more hat tricks for Fev than any other player in our history. Paul Newlove lies in second place on that list with eight but Andy crossed the line three times or more on eleven separate occasions.






So, in retiring I wish Andy all the best for his future and want to express gratitude for the huge enjoyment in watching him play over the years he was with us. And when I go to Toulouse at the end of July I will also remember the attempts of Fev fans and players to keep him under control at ‘The Melting Pot’ on one of our previous visits!


No comments:

Post a Comment