Tuesday 2 May 2017

fevnut's blog: Rochdale Away


Match 15: Rochdale Hornets (Away)
















fevnut's musings



Watching exciting rugby?




There are those that insist that winning is the only thing that matters. Because I am both a lover of Fev and of rugby league I want to watch us winning AND playing good rugby. That certainly wasn’t the case last Sunday. Yes, we won but it was a boring, error-strewn match. Quite frankly, I was rather apprehensive as soon as I saw the team sheet. It wasn’t so much the starting team but the bench that worried me. It was basically four prop forwards: Luke Cooper, Darrell Griffin, Mikolaj Oledzki and Jack Ormondroyd. Yes, I know that Jack has played more often in the second row, but nowadays he plays more like a prop.

What worried me most was the lack of cover in other positions. With Sam Day on loan at Dewsbury there was no cover at hooker. We were fortunate that Keal was able to play the full 80 minutes, but what would have happened if he had been injured. Presumably John Davies would have moved to hooker but he is not a hooker, he is an excellent second rower. Maybe the second half would have been better if Keal had been able to have a rest and come back on refreshed.

And what on earth would we have done if one of the backs had had to be replaced? Maybe we would have played Darrell Griffin at centre (I’m joking). For me, the real solution was often on the pitch but only as a water carrier. I am referring to Kyran Johnson who can cover either at fullback or on the wing.

And what is going on with Kyle Briggs? Is he injured or out of favour? I don’t get the way supporters are so often kept in ignorance about squad fitness. I do wish we would take up the practice used in several other sports where news about the non-availability of players is published on web sites. It would really help us fans understand team selections.

I think our attendances this year have been disappointing and last Sunday’s game won’t encourage people to come back and watch next time.

************************************************

The game away to Rochdale is going to be interesting! They have now lost seven games in a row (their last win was against us back at the beginning of March). But that can be misleading. Two of those losses were by just one and two points and by all accounts, they put up an excellent performance away at Hull Kingston Rovers last time out. I suspect that we will have to play much better than last Sunday and I hope we can do that with rugby that is better to watch.


************************************************

Finally for this week, I want to pay tribute to Scott Turner. Having been kept out of the team at the start of the year by Luke Briscoe and Ash Handley, he has been great since he got his chance. Personally, I am hoping that he now keeps his place and is not left out when and if Leeds decide that Handley is available to us again. I’ve got nothing against Ash, he is a very promising youngster, but I think it is in the longer term interest of Fev to be playing our own players when possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment