Tuesday 23 May 2017

Referee for London at Summer Bash: May 27th

This Week's Referee




There have been many occasions when fevnut has been asked questions like: Who's the referee today? Have we had him before? Where's he from?

So we thought we would answer those questions in our blog.

Below you will find a list of his previous occasions officiating in Fev matches and also his record for this year.

And if anyone asks me "Have we ever had him before?" this time I shall probably scream! RL fans love to celebrate milestones: 100th try, 250th appearance, 1,000 point etc. etc..

Well here we have a special referee milestone: This is the 50th time that Gareth Hewer will be refereeing a Rovers match.

There are, of course, fans who believe that every referee is biased against their team. So on this special occasion fevnut wants to say something about Mr Hewer. Ever since his first Rovers match at home to Rochdale 13 years ago, I have found him to be one of the most consistent of referees and that is the most important quality. In the heat of a game we all get to think that the referee has made some awful decisions. Well no-one is perfect. But when I have been to check out videos of games that Gareth Hewer has been in charge of the fact is hat in the vast majority of cases it turns out that he was right and I was wrong. I don't know why anyone does this job. It has to be so thankless. But I'm glad that Gareth Hewer does it and I have the utmost respect for him.





No comments:

Post a Comment